NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
EDMOND, OKLAHOMA COUNTY
While Oklahoma is considered by many to be a "young"
state, Edmond proudly boasts of a rich and colorful
past which includes trains, cattle drives, Indians and
settlement via an energetic Land Run. Appreciation of
this heritage is readily seen by the numerous historic
buildings and plaques exhibited throughout the community.
Walking tour guides and other information is available
from the Edmond Historical Society Museum at 431 S.
Broadway. That organization deserves our special appreciation
as most of the following information has been provided
courtesy of the Edmond Historical Society.
American Legion Hut, 101 East 5th Street; The
Legion Hut is located on the southwest corner of Stephenson
Park and was built in 1936 through the help of the WPA
at a cost of $7000. The building was placed on the National
Register of Historic Places in 1993.
Citizen's State Bank of Edmond, 102 South Broadway;
Citizen's State Bank of Edmond was organized in April
1901. The building was completed and opened for business
by October, 1901. In 1912, Citizen's Bank and Farmer's
State Bank liquidated their state charters and united
under a national charter. The reorganized institution
became known as Citizen's National Bank. The bank building
was placed on the National Register of Historic Places
Edmond Armory, 431 S Boulevard; This building
is located on the southeast corner of Stephenson Park.
The Edmond Armory was built in 1936 by the WPA. Originally
the Armory served as the home of the 179th Infantry
Regiment of the 45th Division. Currently the building
houses the Edmond Historical Society and Museum, the
building was placed on the National Register of Historic
Places in 1991.
Gower Memorial Cemetery, located on Covell between
Douglas and Post; Gower Cemetery has existed for over
100 years. It serves as a cemetery for all people and
contains approximately 300 occupied grave sites of early
settlers, African Americans, indigents, and veterans
from the Spanish American War, both World Wars, the
Korean War and the Vietnam War. The Gower Memorial Cemetery
was placed on the National Register of Historic Places
Old North Tower, located on the campus of the
University of Central Oklahoma - 100 N University; While
Oklahoma's upper educational institutions, OU, OSU and
UCO, were all founded by legislation in 1890, the first
of these three institutions to open for classes was
the Normal School for Teachers, today's UCO, which held
its first classes on November 1, 1891. Old North Tower
was the first building constructed in the summer of
1892 on the campus of what was then Territorial Normal
School. Old North Tower was placed on the National Register
of Historic Places in 1971.
Y-Chapel of Song, located on the campus of the
University of Central Oklahoma - 100 N University; Construction
on the Y-Chapel of Song was begun in 1948 and completed
in 1949. A truly unique quality of the building is its
stained glass windows that were designed and executed
by the art students of the school. Each window represents
a theme taken from the songs sang during the "Y"
meetings and daily worship services. The Y-Chapel of
Song was placed on the National Register of Historic
Places in 2001.
HISTORICAL MARKERS/SITES IN EDMOND
Information supplied by the Edmond Historical Society
179th Infantry Regiment Memorial Overpass, located
on the west side of the Waterloo Bridge Railroad Overpass.
A large sign honors the memory of those who served and
died in both World War II and the Korean Conflict. Dedicated
November 7, 1997.
Central State College Marker, located on the
south side of the intersection of Second Street and
Boulevard. This metal marker details a brief history
of early Edmond.
Citizen's State Bank Plaque, located at 102
S Broadway; This plaque details in brief the history
of Citizen's State Bank of Edmond which organized in
April 1901. The building was completed and opened for
business by October, 1901. In 1912, Citizen's Bank and
Farmer's State Bank liquidated their state charters
and united under a national charter.The reorganized
institution became known as Citizen's National Bank.
The bank building was placed on the National Register
of Historic Places in 1980.
Downtown Edmond Buildings Plaques. Take a stroll
down the streets of downtown Edmond along Broadway and
read plaques on various historical buildings. These
plaques list the early businesses that have resided
in the present buildings with a short description.
Edmond Park Plaques. The Edmond Parks Foundation
has placed historical plaques at our city parks. Edmond's
first park was founded in 1893. Many Edmond parks are
named in honor of significant Edmond individuals who
have helped shape Edmond's history.
Edmond Sun Historical Marker, located in front
of the Edmond Sun at 123 S Broadway. This historical
marker dedicated June 15, 1984, recognizes the establishment
of The Edmond Sun.
First Schoolhouse, located at 124 E Second Street.
This metal marker details a brief history of the construction
of the first public schoolhouse in Oklahoma Territory
in August 1889. The marker also tells about the first
teacher, Miss Allie McCormick. School was conducted
at this site until 1899. The Edmond Historic Preservation
Trust has purchased the building and property and are
renovating the building to its original state - a schoolhouse.
Dedicated December 1990.
Milton "Kickingbird" Reynolds Historical
Marker, situated in the south central area of Gracelawn
Cemetery located at Danforth and Boulevard. This granite
marker is double-sided. One side of the marker gives
a brief description and history of Milton "Kickingbird"
Reyonlds, the publisher and founder of the Edmond Sun
newspaper in 1890 - laying claim to being the first
newspaper in Oklahoma Territory. The opposite side of
the marker portrays statements made by Reynolds about
the great spirit of the 1889ers who settled Edmond with
the Land Run of April 22, 1889.
Dedicated April 11, 1995.
National Guard Armory Marker, located in front
of the Edmond Historical Society at 431 S Boulevard.
This granite marker details a brief history of the building
that was built in 1936 to house the 179th Infantry Regiment
of the 45th Division. The building was renovated in
1983 as a Community Center and currently is the home
of the Edmond Historical Society and Museum.
People's Bank of Edmond/First National Bank of Edmond
located on the SW corner of First and broadway. Built
in 1893, this is the oldest commercial structure in
Oklahoma County. The building was utilized as a bank
until 1956. The plaque gives a brief history on the
Shannon Miller Parkway. In February 1998 a resolution
was passed to rename a stretch of I-35 from Memorial
to Danforth the Shannon Miller Parkway in honor of Edmond's
Olympic Champion. Miller won a total of 7 Olympic Medals
- 2 gold, 2 silver and 3 bronze medals. She also holds
9 World Championship Medals.
Train Depot Historical Marker, located west
of Broadway and north
of Second Street near the original train depot site.
The granite marker is inscribed with a short history
of the railroad in Edmond and its importance.
Veterans Memorial, located in the SW corner
of Gracelawn Cemetery at Danforth and Boulevard. This
memorial consists of 4 granite markers representing
the branches of the armed services, surrounding a central
granite marker dedicated to the memory of all. Buried
at the site are the historical scrolls naming the veterans,
contributors, area pioneers, Edmond city officials,
and community leaders.